Wednesday, 16 July 2014

Blank Pages, No More



Scene I: Kitchen table, Time: Late evening

“She has been sleeping for quite a while now, I think I should wake her up, I thought she had some deadline to submit that assignment for her writing course,” her mother said, keeping the empty coffee cup in the sink.

“She has been under a lot of stress lately, trying to do so much with her job, and this class, and that good-for-nothing-boyfriend of hers...but am not sure if I would call it funny or sad that she seemed to be struggling with...eh...what you call it...writer’s block, and that too for an assignment on this very topic,” her father remarked while picking up the last cookie from the plate and placing it in his mouth.

Scene II: Bedroom, Time: Late evening, a few minutes later

Frantically typing something on her laptop, she looked up at her mother and said, “Oh, I am so glad you are here…give me a minute and I’ll show you what I've got; can’t believe how it all happened, but all that I will tell you later….here, it is done, come take a look.”




“And the best part is that it was something I dreamed about, or at least I think it was a dream otherwise I can’t explain any of this,” she said, looking curiously at her mother’s face.


Scene III: Chennai Airport, Time: Late evening, a year later

Saying goodbye to her job and boyfriend, and having learned the value of proper rest to cure herself of mind-fag and mental exhaustion, she was on her way to Pondicherry to learn more about the language of dreams, and about Sri Aurobindo whose name she had ‘seen’ in her dream, for the first time that afternoon in her Phoenix home.




Reference: Nirodbaran’s Correspondence with Sri Aurobindo (Vol. 2, Complete Set, Third Impression, 2001, p. 654)
Image 1: mine, 2: Google, altered

******

Linking this post with Five-sentence Fiction: Pages
Also linking this with Write Tribe: Prompt: Writer's Block
Five ways to help with Writer's Block:  Rest, Variation, Dream, Awareness, and Rest!